Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dia de Los Muertos


For Halloween Daisy thought about being Rocky's doll, Baby Jesus, but we decided instead to go for a family costume.
So, instead we went with the most obvious choice...
Goldilocks and the three bears.

We dressed up to run my favorite race of the year, the Monster Mash. Brandon pushed the girls the whole 5K. They were very interested in the variety of costumes. I didn't get many pictures but there was a whole family dressed as grapes, including their dog and a pretty amazing Marie Antoinette. There were several people who notified us that Rocky had lost her hat. I guess I can't blame them for not figuring out that her regular church garb had taken a part time job as a Halloween costume.

It was fun to have my friends waiting for me at the finish line. Laurie and Lindsey are two of my favorite people and that is exactly what you need after a fast run.
By the way, Laurie is dressed like a Halloween Hippie and should not be confused with a real Eugene Hippie. If you are looking for a Eugene Hippie you need to just follow the scent of pot until it mixes with B.O. If you still aren't sure you'll know immediately if she has dread locks and/or is not wearing a bra. They can easily be found outside of Sundance Foods or the downtown library.
I'm down with the real hippies too, but Laurie is much better looking, and a lot faster.



For the various Halloween parties we put Rocky in her tutu so that she could prance around like a fairy.

Which, she did until she collapsed on the couch in a candy-binge stupor.

Daisy played the role of the baby bear with a quiet, sincere dignity, which is rare in a child her age, especially one who is in a ridiculous hat.

To celebrate the Day of the Dead our branch had a fiesta. I went ahead and made an authentic Mexican dish to share at the party and for Brandon to take to his students.

Yep, cupcakes. We really pulled out all the stops.


I can't have a Halloween post with out including the picture of my jack-o-lantern. I love carving pumpkins.

It may look like it has no face, that is because it has no face. I am tempted to claim that it was an artistic expression of existentialism because that is the kind of crap that would make sense in a college town, but the truth is that I completely forgot to finish it. I cleaned it out on Saturday morning and I was planning on brainstorming about the face I would like to carve. I had a whole bunch of other things that I was supposed to do and it completely slipped my mind. I didn't even realize until Sunday evening and by then we were headed out the door and it was too late. I think this is a new low, even for me.

7 comments:

Callie. said...

Marci, this post cracked me up. Your definition of a Eugene hippie is right on, and the lack of face on your pumpkin and its explanation is fantastic.

M. Derek Rigby said...

What's Rocky doing in the picture with Laurie and Lindsay? Shake face?

becky rigby said...

What a beautiful family picture. You all look so cute. Mars you look amazing! You look very fit and healthy. Must be all that healthy living up in Eugene. I've heard of those types of people. =)

I felt like Rocky in her candy-binged stupor Saturday night. I'm glad it's over. Miss ya.

the splendid life of us... said...

you forgot the hippie womans unshaved armpits and legs. That is essential to be a true Eugene hippie! haha! Love you and your cute family!

Heather said...

Ah, true Eugene hippies. Gotta love 'em.
The girls looked adorable!

Laurie said...

You're so funny Marci. I love your cupcakes!

Kaylee Snyder said...

What a cute Goldilocks and 3 bears idea! That was way fun. And Marci, your pumpkin cracked me up!