Friday, June 27, 2008

Rock n' Roll

Rock n' Roll




There we were at Becky and Caleb's place. Rocky was sprawled out on a blanket enjoying some "tummy time" which is recommended by all pediatricians. Becky and I were looking at the Chile's take out menu when the incident happened.
We had decided to get together to use the gift cards that we got for Christmas. I couldn't decide what to order until Caleb insisted that the best thing on the menu was the Monteray Chicken. Becky and I believed him and the three of us all finally committed to the chicken. Brandon, always the individual, spent a few more minutes examining the menu and chose the Mushroom and Swiss Burger.

I spotted a box of Mike N' Ikes in the pantry and walked over to help myself to them. All of a sudden Becky let out a squeal. "Did she do that by herself or did you flip her over?" she asked me. I looked down and my baby was lying on her back. She looked really cute because she was wearing a long nightgown that Jill had bought for her at Savers. It was the only thing skinny enough to really fit Rocky's long torso. She was just kicking it there on her back with a face that seemed to wonder why we were staring at her. Like true scientists, we flipped her back onto her tummy to see if we could reproduce the results. This time Becky had her camera phone out and this is what happened.


This time we were watching. The cheering reminded me of a couple of months ago when we were in the same room watching the Giants beat the Patriots in the Superbowl. Caleb didn't jump out of his chair this time though, because he was busy calling in our order.
We flipped her again four times and every time she rolled right back over.

I know that this incident is very small in the spectrum of the entire world, but it was a very interesting moment for me.

I have always known that I wanted to have kids, but I never knew if I would be the maternal type. I liked playing with my nieces and nephews but I don't really spend much time holding babies. Before we had Rocky, I hadn't changed a diaper for about 10 years.

When she was born I was immediately smitten with her. Brandon and I were thrilled with all of the funny faces and sounds that she would make. We spent hours just watching her and giggling like a couple of 7th graders (trust me I spent all last year with them). For example, I watched this video about 500 times.


Being entertained by my baby is something I am already very used to at this point, but when she rolled over, it was an entirely new thing. I was awestruck.

We had a nice time that evening. Caleb was right and the chicken was awesome. Brandon and I split our meals half-and-half and the Mushroom Swiss didn't stand up. Plus, the chicken came with mashed potatoes and broccoli, two of my favorite things. We ate outside at a park and then went back home to watch Arrested Development. I loved the food and I laughed a lot at the show, but my mind kept going back to the baby's big moment.

On the way home Brandon was trying to listen to a song and I just kept interrupting to talk about how neat it was when Rocky rolled over. I think I was driving him crazy, but it filled my mind. I was giddy and excited and I wanted to go home and look at the video on the computer again and again.

Man, this mom thing has hit me harder than I ever would have imagined. I'm just as sappy as all the people that annyed me when I was kidless.

By the way, Rocky hasn't rolled again since. She was just teasing us.

5 comments:

KRISTIN BELL said...

Isn't it incredible?!? I am so excited for you... it just gets more and more exciting! Being a mom is the best! We still giggle about every little thing Maci does. Those faces are soooo cute, yawn and all. What a rollin' champ!

Cara Rigby said...

Oh my gosh...I loved that video of all the silly faces she was making!! I think the best thing about motherhood is no one can tell you how truly amazing (or frustrating) it is until you are doing it. I miss you and her and Bran :)

Unknown said...

She is a cutie! I still need to come over and see her! I have had a little present for you guys forever!

cheryl said...

Your little girl is so cute, and I sure enjoy your writings. Take care, and continue to have fun with life.
Cheryl Kearns

Jen Jarrett said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!! Oh she is so cute and that is so exciting! I am sure that nothing compares to your own kids but dang... I would watch that cute video of her 50 times too!