Saturday, May 10, 2014

Garden Weather

 We have been having a rare streak of beautiful weather which has given us a chance to get our garden plot underway.  I had a feeling that my soul needed a little bit of gardening therapy which sort of sounds crazy when I think of how much weeding I had to do as a kid.  Our plot is small enough that I think we'll be able to keep it under control.  I took this picture about a week ago and we've already got a bunch of little buds coming up.  Even though it is obvious that seeds grow into plants I am always amazed when it happens.  I was lucky to inherit the plot that my friend Maggie took such good care of last year.  She and her husband are moving up in the world and I'm going to miss her a lot.  I hope that I can do her proud.  Ever since I started working every day someone will come by and give me something to help me out.  Michelle let me have her picket fence, Mark brought me some bamboo to make a pea trellis and he gave me onion and potato starts.  Samantha hooked us up with two tomato plants and a bunch of spinach and Maggie gave us the salad greens and a bunch of organic fertilizer, and Adriana brought us some kind of plant that I don't recognize.  I'm thinking that if I just stand out there for an hour or so each day I should be given enough to feed our family for the entire harvest season.  The more time I spend out there the more I love this little community.  I am on the U of O housing board and the other day the University VP came in to ask the residents how we feel about Spencer View.  As I was talking I got all teary-eyed about how much I love living here.  I'm pretty sure that most students who live in family housing across the country are crying the sad kind of tears, but for us it has been a great experience.  After I finished my speech I realized that a bunch of the folks around the table were also getting emotional because they spend all day trying to make this place a good place to live.  Now I'm just waiting for them to call me to star in a student housing recruitment video.  I won't hold my breath.
 As we dug we found slugs, slugs, and more slugs.  We also found a couple of toy cars, a carabiner, and a hockey puck.  Maggie found a diamond ring but that was when the plot was still hers.  I tried to keep it a secret so that none of the kids get any ideas about digging for buried treasure.  I've heard that is bad for the pea plants.
In case your curious we also planted bell peppers, cantaloup, and zucchini.  I have a few more seeds that the girls picked out but we need to wait until the weather gets better.  I don't know exactly where it will all fit but somehow we have managed to happily raise three kids in this tiny apartment and if I can handle that I'm positive I'll be able to work something out in the garden.


The other day we took the girls to a birthday party at Bounce and I just couldn't live without a few photos.




No comments: