Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Market of Choice


Eugene is a unique place in many ways. Everyone seems to know it as a hub for hippies but there are all kinds of folks around here. I've seen about ten times as many runners as I have tie-dye-wearing, peace-loving, shower-shunning, bra-burners. Don't get me wrong, I have been invited to sign petitions to legalize pot and learned several new ways to tame dreadlocks, but I think the city's stereotype seriously undermines the variety of people that have combined to give Eugene its special flavor.

What I've noticed most in my vast experience of living in Eugene (after all I've been here for more than a week) is that there is space for everyone.

There is a grocery store here called Market of Choice. It carries all the granola-y organics as well as the cheap chemically manufactured Cheese-Whiz and everything in between. I think this whole place is like that. There are about a million churches throughout the town, pubs all over, and drum circles. Most restaurants offer menu items with or without meat and they often have vegan choices too.

The people around here are just like everywhere else. They often stop to smile at Rocky and are very friendly. They even have enough love in this city to make room for a little family of Mormons. We're probably the weirdest ones of all.

No comments: