Friday, May 8, 2009

Praise for Podcasts


Sometimes I wonder what I used to do before I had podcasts to keep me company. I have always had books as friends, but it is unrealistic to spend all day sitting around reading. Podcasts provide interaction with words and storytelling, but allow me to accomplish things while I listen. As long as I have my headphones in I find myself happily washing dishes, exercising, folding laundry, cooking, and any other type of generally mundane task. Sometimes I even will do an extra job just so that I can listen longer. As I have previously mentioned, it also helps me to keep my mouth shut on long evenings when Brandon is at home working on papers. I'll just put in my earbuds and have a great time sweeping the floor for the third time. Podcasts have changed my life because I get a lot done, and I learn something new every day.

People sometimes ask me what I listen to, so this is the list of my favorites.

This American Life
Intelligence Squared
Radio Lab
Hearing Voices
Radio Diaries
Radio West
Fresh Air
Selected Shorts
Classic Tales
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
StoryCorp
The Moth
New Yorker: Fiction
Studio 360

They are all free and you just sign up through i Tunes or on the website for the MP3 downloads.

If you think I'm a dork, it probably means that you don't know how entertaining these shows can be. Or, maybe it is that I really am a dork. But, I'm a lot smarter of a dork than I was before, and now my house is clean too.

If you have a favorite podcast that you love please let me know what it is. If you haven't listened to any of these, you are missing out.

2 comments:

Callie. said...

I am so glad you posted this. I only listen to This American Life because it's the only one I know to listen to! But this is great. I will have to give them a try!

Michelle said...

I always have NPR on in my car, but I haven't brought it into the house yet...good idea. I'll have to try it so that I can have a clean house too! It seems my kitchen floor gets mopped only once every three months, so any help would be appreciated!