Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Monster Mash


Rocky and Bullwinkle

Six hundred crazy people, including me, lined up on Saturday morning wearing costumes and practically freezing to death to run the Monster Mash 5K. I've been looking forward to the race this whole month and was not let down. It was wild because adults, kids, dogs, and babies in strollers all participated. A guy dressed like a pirate pushing newborn twins in a double jogger passed me at the 2nd mile mark. It was okay though because I passed a couple of black cats, a fairy, and some mobsters during the third. I also passed a banana who had to stop and use a pooper scooper after her dog spoiled the trail, but once they were all cleaned up she ran right by me again. I have a tendency in these races to start out to fast and then kind of run out of gas and barely stumble across the finish line. This time I was determined to take it slowly and try to have a more consistent pace. But, I waited a little too long to speed up. This meant that although I didn't have a particularly fast time, I did have a lot of fun picking off zombies and clowns one by one during the last mile (that sounds more like a horror movie than a community event.)

I could almost hear them thinking, "Curse that moose!" I will admit that the Bullwinkle costume is not very flattering, but it was hilarious the way the antlers bounced up and down with each step. I've never really been able to pull off the 'cutesy' scene anyway. I usually fit better in the category of comic relief.



Laurie, who is my friend, and inspiration in all things running ran with me. When I say ran "with" me I mean that she was so far ahead that I couldn't even see her little bat antennea. She was, as the announcer said, 'The fastest pumpkin of the day." We met up at the finish and watched all the door prizes go to other people. I am glad to have this picture because without her diligent example, I probably wouldn't have been in any shape to be running at all.

Rocky the flying squirrel had a great time watching all the dogs and as a prize for her good behavior earned this pear. It kept her busy for about 45 minutes. In the end I think she ate the whole thing, stem and all.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

What a hilarious race! Congratulations - I will run it with you next year...I'll start thinking about my costume.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

way to go! You and Laurie are my inspiration. Maybe next year I'll be able to run it with you.

Denece Hall said...

great costumes! You both look great!

Laurie said...

Wow Marci, you give me way to much credit! Thanks to you (and Brandon & Rocky of course) for hanging out to the bitter(cold) end with me. You did an awesome job and I really think you and Rocky looked great!

autumn said...

running + jogging stroller + oregon fall morning = you're amazing
YOU, my friend, are MY inspiration for all things running.

Janelle said...

I'm glad you found a use for the moose hat - our polish friends ould be prou.