Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Snowed In

 It snowed and we had a blast.  Rosy was utterly amazed.


 I used my child to surreptitiously photograph these two international students.  Bless their hearts, they were trying to wash their car in the middle of a snowstorm.  I don't know why they thought that pouring water over the top would help but it basically turned their ride into a Popsicle.  I asked if I could help, of course, before making fun of them, but they smiled and waved me off.  The maintenance guy later helped out by using a leaf blower to remove the snow, but it didn't seem to put a dent in the layers of ice that they had carefully created.  I remember using that bucket of water technique when I was a kid and we wanted to make super strong snow forts.  The last I checked, they had moved their car so at some point it must have thawed enough to open the doors. 

 At first it looked like it was just going to be a layer of powdery fluff, but Rocky went outside to check and came in amazed saying, "The snowflakes are about as big as a baby clam." 
I'm not really sure how big baby clams are, or why they were on her mind, but I can't help but wonder if she has a future in the weather industry. 
 Daisy for her part was just as happy as a baby clam tromping around with her pink hat, pink coat, pink scarf and pink cheeks.
 Since the roads were basically impossible we hunkered down in our cozy little place for a movie night.  There were no complaints at all.
 The ice was gorgeous, and dangerous enough to cancel church.  I giddily danced around Sunday morning while Brandon tried to make the most of the day by doing some indexing.  Even for a rat like me who tries to get out of church for any excuse, I found myself really missing it.  Good thing there is always next week.

The folks around Eugene that are the most put-out by the wild weather are the runners.  A friend of mine went to the Rec. Center on campus and he said that the treadmills that are usually filled with girls reading magazines while they walk were all taken by elite runners doing 20 repetitions of 5 minute miles.  Don't worry though, as soon as the black of the road could be seen the runners of track town were back outside.  As for me, I'm still feeling pretty happy with the idea of holing up with a big bowl of popcorn and watching other people do athletic winter things.  The snow is almost gone and the kids went back to school today, and I can feel it in my bones that tomorrow it is back to real life.  But at least for the next week or so it is real life with the Olympics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Words of Wisdom. Do NOT wash your car in cold, icy weather. It took me TWICE to learn it. (No...not smart enough to learn it the first time.)