Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Apples and Oranges




The other day I was checking on my Facebook account and for my update I wrote "Marci thinks that pears are better than apples." I had just finished munching a pear and felt quite confident in my choice. But, this morning I started to really think about it.

I don't know why I said that.

I mean, I do think that pears are really good, but I have always loved apples. It seems flippant to just disregard all the years that I have appreciated a good apple, often eating one a day. It feels wrong to judge fruits only in comparison to one another. Apples are fantastic and so are pears.

Having a new fruit in my life doesn't mean that I have to publicly humiliate the apple which has stood by me through thick and thin. Apples have only brought good things to my world by keeping the doctor away and giving me something to chew so that I didn't fall asleep during my education classes at Weber State. Actually, when it comes to staying occupied during boring classes, nothing beats an orange. The orange requires the two-step process of peeling and eating.

So does that mean that I should arrogantly make a blatant claim that oranges are better than apples? That would be completely out of line. It would be, well, comparing apples and oranges, which we all know that we should not do because they are two completely different things.

It is like those bumper stickers that say, "My grandkids are cuter than yours."

To me that seems like an invitation to get your car keyed.

I don't even have any grandchildren to be insulted by that message, but I find it frustrating. It seems to say that it is impossible to value something without de-valuing something else. A lot of our compliments come with a free bonus insult.

I guess "My grandkids are cute and so are yours" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
But, for my purposes, I'm going to say that I like fruits of all kind. Except for those canned cherries. Real cherries are way better.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Personally, I like my apples crisp, my pears a little mushy, and my oranges in January.

Callie. said...

Each has their strength. And as far as oranges in class go, I always had teachers growing up that would spray citrus spray in the room while we were taking tests. They said oranges helped stimulate the brain. But now that I am older and thinking about it, maybe it was a cover up for something else...hmmm...

Isaac said...

I laughed, I cried. In the end I agreed totally with your sentiment - it reminds me of the Notorious ETB's point in Beware of Pride. So glad to be aware of your blog. Also, random note that Rocky is super cute, and it doesn't look like things are going to go anywhere with that one girl I blogged about. Hope all is well!