Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween in Eugene


Rocky and Ron Burgundy, otherwise known as The Anchorman, were ready to broadcast the evening news. Brandon's costumes are always a big hit with the people who actually know who he is.
You may notice that she is wearing a Weber State shirt, but she's got a duck in her hand. She has mixed loyalties.


After dressing up for so many parties, Rocky felt that she needed a change of pace. The moose hat seemed a little bit like a safety hazard so we resurrected last years Ewok hood. Here is a blast from the past showing exactly how she looked one year ago, just in case you forgot that she used to be a baby.

Since she couldn't trick or treat at the houses of her grandmas she went to show off her costume to her adopted grandma in Eugene. They didn't have any treats at the restaurant so Rosi gave us a container of refried beans, which was even better.


Trick or treating was kind of a pickle. Not only was it raining, but the big U of O game was on. We went out during half time to our two neighbors, which are both pretty close considering we are in apartments. Some of you may be thinking that I am a mean and unfit mother, but I choose to believe that I was trying to protect my little Ewok from the evils of candy. Just to prove my point I'll have you know that of the three pieces of candy that she earned by knocking doors I only let her have one. Brandon and I unselfishly took the health risks upon ourselves and ate the other two. Just so you know, she got first pick and took the Butterfinger. She was also able to smooth talk her dad into about half of the Peanut Butter Cup but I wasn't going to fall for those big blue eyes and ate the Baby Ruth after she had gone to bed.
Another reason that we elected to mostly avoid the door-to-door begging is that the past week or so Rocky has gotten into the habit of running up and knocking on random doors. She thinks it is really funny and even more funny to go ahead and walk in if the door is open. I didn't think it would be very wise to let her know that if you knock on random doors that people will give you candy and tell you that you are cute.
Okay, mostly it was because I wanted to watch the game. I LOVE trick or treating and I love candy even more.

You wouldn't believe how excited she was with her Butterfinger, and we let her have all the refried beans she could eat.


I mean, look at that belly...it's not like we don't have enough treats already at this house.
In my constant pursuit of better eating habits I carefully selected the candy that seemed least appealing so that I wouldn't eat it all before the trick or treaters arrived. I picked out Nerds and a collection of Lemon-Heads "and friends." Little did I know that the friends were the new, improved, chewy Lemon Heads that are awesome. Because of the rain we had a few left that I was forced to sample. Now I guess I will have to eat the rest, so that they don't go to waste. The kind of better eating strategy that I was working on doesn't work if you are me and find that you love anything that is made of food. I ate most of the leftover Nerds too.
Maybe next year I should give out refried beans instead. I'd probably end up eating a lot of them, but at least they'd have some fiber.

7 comments:

Lindsey and Isaac said...

You are so funny Marci! I love Brandon's costume! He really does look like him :)

Michelle said...

Marci, I love your writing! You are so funny. I left our candy in the car this year so that I wouldn't eat it. I was successful for a week, but the night before Halloween I went out to the car and got the bag and ate 6 Reeses peanut butter cups. Should have just eaten 1 a day for the whole week! Oh, well, maybe next year I'll hand out refried beans too :)

becky rigby said...

Refried beans? I didn't even know that was an option. We ran to the store around 6:00 p.m. because we forgot to get candy. If I would have known about this I would have started handing out my food storage. =) Brandon's costume was pretty steller, I wish I could have seen it in person.

Janet said...

Marci, I love your blogs. They are so much fun. What a girl! Love ya, Mom

Eric and Debbie said...

Does Janet always sign her comments at the end? You should let her know that it always says "Janet" at the top, just in case.
How did you get Rocky to make the same Ron Burgundy face with Buckwheat? Because it is amazing and has changed my life.

Jill said...

I haven't read your blog for a while--I just read through a bunch of posts and my funny bone has been tickled to satisfaction. I can't decide if the Ewok or the jazzercize is my favorite. They both rock!

Jill said...

Oh, it just says my first name. That's the dumpy jill, not the cool sister one. :-)