Friday, May 7, 2010

Musings about Motherhood

I was driving yesterday and I heard an economist say that they have proven that people with children aren't as happy as those without. I was interested in the criteria that led to the conclusion because it was different than what I'd always heard. They had done some sort of survey and it turns out that parents don't have much leisure time as others that have no children. They also don't eat out as much, or see as many movies. Then, to add insult to injury, they get less sleep, and have more worries and anxieties.
Well, none of that was news to me.
I guess that I was surprised that those were the ingredients that made someone "happy."
As far as I'm concerned, the only plus side to having children is the fact that they do make you happy. I guess that they also help out as tax deductions, but all the money we get back usually ends up going to diapers anyway.

I freely admit that there is nothing convenient about being a mom, but there is no amount of leisure time that could get me to give it up. It's the best job I've ever had.

2 comments:

Pam said...

AMEN!

Aynna banahna said...

AMEN again. It's funny how they can think that those things equal happiness. Silly humanity