Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Selfish Mother Moment

Does it make me a bad mom if when Rocky wants candy I give her the piece that I like least? I mean, I know that moms are supposed to be all about this making sacrifices business, and I'm happy to give up almost every second of my life for her, but I draw the line when it comes to the caramels. I would probably feel worse about it if she didn't routinely put bugs in her mouth. You think I'm kidding, but no, my daughter likes to pick up, play with, and sometimes eat ants and spiders. If she is happy with that, she had better be happy with my candy rejects. Besides, the candy she gets is usually candy that I would end up eating, but I'd just do it later when all the good stuff is gone and I'm forced to consume anything I can find in the cupboards. So, really, it is a sacrifice...right?

7 comments:

Laurie said...

I always give my kids my least favorite things too. I don't think you should feel bad about it. It's definitely not as bad as me eating all of my favorites out of their Halloween candy... which I have been known to do for oh, I don't know, the last 5 years!

Unknown said...

Most of my favorites are the things that will give them heart disease some day, so I try to look at it more like I'm protecting them rather than being a stingy mama with her yummy chocolate.

Aynna banahna said...

I do that too! When we got the Easter bags from grandma, he got the gummy hamburgers and gross fruit snacks. I got all the chocolate

Jen said...

Kids like the less desirable candy cast offs. Remember being excited about pixie sticks? Nuf said. Keep the good stuff.

Michelle said...

I love your blog Marci. I guess the same questions go for me waiting until Amelia goes to bed before I eat the good stuff...:)

Katrina said...

There is nothing wrong with that at all! I think it's a pretty awesome arrangement. You eat the candy you like, and you don't end up eating all the candy you don't like just because it is sitting there begging for someone to eat it.

Eric and Debbie said...

I don't have children, and I'm no doctor, but I imagine that bugs and spiders are actually pretty healthy because they definitely do not eat candy. So I imagine she is getting all of her vitamins anyway.