Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Here to Make Friends



You don't have to watch the whole thing to get the idea.

Clearly reality T.V. has nothing to do with reality, and these people probably know what they are talking about...well, maybe not the ones from Flavor of Love, but the rest of them are sticking to a game plan.
I've been thinking about this a lot because while I don't consider it my sole purpose, to a degree I think that I really am here to make friends. My survival strategy consists of relying heavily on those around me for inspiration, help, advice, entertainment, recipes, and hand-me-down clothes.

Recently I have had reason to reflect on how friendship has enriched my life because one of my dearest high school friends passed away. Braden is my second cousin once removed (it took us about a year to figure out how to say it.)

After a very traumatic accident when he was in 8th grade he spent the rest of his life as a quadriplegic. He was an awesome person and, with the exception of the hand-me-down clothes, fit all the above-mentioned criteria for a great friend. He and his family welcomed me, and a bunch of other friends into their home, where we made all kinds of great memories. A lot of times I would go there just to get away from all those silly pressures that seem important when you are 16 and I always left feeling better. I will miss my friend, especially his laugh, but I feel happy that he was finally able to leave that still body behind and let his spirit free.

When I look at the good parts of the adult that I have become a lot of them come from the positive examples of the friends I had along the way.

Okay, now for the really mushy sappy big finish.

I have had a lot of different seasons of my life, and in each one I have met friends that have brought me so much joy. When I left home to go to school in Hawaii, in Boston as a missionary, in college at Weber State, and in Eugene. With the exception of the ones that live here I rarely see any of them, but I still feel close to them and appreciate the way they have touched my life.

While it has become obvious that my real mission in Eugene is to commune with my inner hippie a by-product has been some really great friends. The tough part of living in a student community is that the graduation season means that people you love will be leaving you behind.
I guess it is the same with Braden. He's moved on and we are all left to keep truckin' through. But, even though the season has changed, I get to keep all the good things I learned from him, and all the rest of you.

4 comments:

becky rigby said...

Marci that is the sweetest post. You are such a good friend. I'm glad you shared this with us. Can't wait to see you guys in a month or so.

Callie. said...

you always say things perfectly. If I were to write about all my great friends here and what it has meant, it would sound totally cheesy. Thanks for the great post.

Laurie said...

That was such a sweet post Marci. You are such a good friend to your friends. I'm glad to say that I won't be leaving you behind any time soon. :)

Jill said...

Where's the "Like" button when I need it?