Thursday, October 2, 2008

Babysitting


I've been trying to do my best to make friends around here, and I guess I'm doing okay because I got my first gig babysitting. A girl in the ward who also lives at Spencer View went with her husband to a concert and I volunteered to watch her two boys. They were already in bed when I got here so it's an easy night. Rocky came with me, but when Brandon got back from playing basketball he took her.

So now here I am, in a quiet house. I can hear the appliances running and don't really feel comfortable moving around. It is such a strange feeling to be alone in someone else's house. It takes me back to my days as a young teenager when many of my weekends were spent agonizingly waiting for parents to return. I would look at the clock every 3 minutes and jump at every tiny sound. I'm not usually a wimpy girl, but my imagination would run wild and I'd get so scared. I'd listen for any indicator that could signal the approach of a car in the driveway and I swear that the parents were always about an hour later than they said they would be.

I used to get paid 2 dollars an hour. Even to a twelve-year-old $2 is not worth it. I could lose my whole Friday night and earn a grand total of 6 bucks. It was interesting though because the rate was never set. People would pay differently every time. I liked it that way because it added a degree of chance. It mostly depended on what kind of change people had on them. Sometimes I'd get a bonus and sometimes I'd be royally stiffed. It all seemed to average out in the end.

Now as a parent it is hard to even believe that people used to leave their kids with someone so inexperienced. I remember one time when I was about thirteen I was left with a baby. I have no idea how old he was but I remember that I was supposed to give him a bottle, burp him, and put him to bed. I was terrified. Actually, if I'm going to be honest, I'd have to say that until I had Rocky I would have felt just as nervous. Once I had some experience with a baby I realized that it is no big deal. But, at that time, I was positive that the kid would die if I didn't do it right. The baby cried for three hours straight. That night I took my 5 bucks and swore I'd never do it again. Of course, I had been kidding myself.

I'm sure that the families that I babysat for didn't have enough money to pay for anyone older than thirteen, but I don't know if I could do it. I mean, have you seen any Beehives lately? I almost feel like they need babysitters of their own.

It's a good thing that I'm much more mature now. Especially as I sit here, in this dark, creaky house, all alone. I'm sure they'll be home any second.

2 comments:

becky rigby said...

Ha ha ha, Marci what a funny post. I hope everything went well. I too remember the parents telling me they would be about 2 hours and it never failed that they would be home much much later.

Unknown said...

You know what's even weirder? People asked me to babysit. One time mom had to come over to change a toddler's diaper, because she kept running away from me before I could put a new one on.