Friday, October 10, 2008

Crazy Ducks

The Ducks are taking on UCLA for homecoming and tonight was the first ever homecoming parade. I really love parades so I got Rocky all bundled up and we practically ran to campus in order to make it on time. It was all that I hoped for and more. Unfortunately, in my haste I forgot the camera.
The parade mostly consisted of floats of drunken frat boys and giggling sorority sisters. There were a few other campus organizations that also made an appearance. A few of them were handing out candy for the kids, and condoms for the college students.
The Oregon Duck was riding on a scooter. I was trying to find out what his name is and I found this video. The barber is the guy who stopped in the middle of a haircut so he could come out and look at Rocky.



The Duck that we saw today was much nicer.
Next were the cheerleaders and marching band which followed by a small school bus that carried kids from the school-sponsored day care. Then it was time for the real fun to begin.
One float had plastic Greek columns and about forty toga-wearing, chanting, stereotypical campus partiers. The little boy next to me started chanting along, (To-Ga...To-Ga) then turned to his mom and asked, "What's a toga?" She explained that it was a sheet that people sometimes wear to parties. He asked if his next birthday could be a toga party and she told him that he would have to wait until he is seventeen. I wondered about that a little bit because seventeen is a strange age to designate as toga appropriate. I guess that sweet sixteen is just a little too young to start. After all, there are plenty of years of toga excitement to last throughout college, why rush it. Eighteen is already marked by that legal adulthood issue, so I guess that the toga standard is a good way to add some excitement to becoming the big 1-7. I told Rocky that it was okay with me if she wanted to celebrate her first birthday with a togas because she is very mature for her age. All she did was drool, so I took it that she wasn't really that interested.
There was a group of guys that were dressed up like superheroes. They were all standing and trying to get the truck to bounce up and down. It was going pretty well until the truck accelerated a little too quickly and they all started falling. They tumbled into a big pile of bodies and capes and were a little too tipsy to get up right away. I don't think there were any serious injuries. When they did get up they offered the cute coeds across the street a free calendar featuring their pictures and seemed surprised when they declined.
There was a group wearing white shirts and boxers trying to immitate Risky Business, and a bunch of girls with robes and a sign that said, Hogwarts or Bust (you could see the toga party pointing and laughing at the wizards before the parade had even begun). One had a Top Gun theme and had completely covered the truck with foil to make it look like a jet.
I thought it was a pretty impressive showing, especially because there were many more people in the parade than there were watching the parade.
It was a pretty chilly night, but it was worth it.
Rocky and I aren't really ducks, but we are a little crazy.

2 comments:

Janet said...

You've got your mom's heart....love for a parade...good one or not! (Altho that sounds like a GOOD one! Way better than South Ogden's.

becky rigby said...

Man I'm sorry I missed that. I love the picture, your hair is so cute. I'm not used to it yet. I guess I haven't seen you much.... well at all since you moved so I almost forgot what you looked like. I watch the video of Rocky that we took during ulimate frizbee a lot so I don't forget her.