Saturday, October 25, 2008

Party Time

Before I left home I told my parents that all that I wanted for my birthday was for them to come visit, so last week my mom, dad, and Jill made the 13 hour trek to Eugene. We were excited to have some visitors and had a lot of fun. Here are a few of the highlights.

We went out to the coast because you can't come all the way out here and not even see the ocean. We talked about paying 10 bucks to see an underwater cave that is supposed to have lots of sea lions, but in the end decided against it. Then, later we saw about forty of them absolutely free.


We all walked on the beach looking for interesting shells. We found a bunch of things, including a couple of huge jellyfish. Jill had taken her shoes off so that she could wade in the water. I kind of felt like a dork because I was wearing my running shoes. That morning it looked like it was going to be really cold and rainy, and I didn't want my toes to freeze so I chose the socks and shoes. I knew that it was a bad choice once we got out there and the weather was perfect, but I didn't want to get the insides all sandy so I just left them on. While we were hunting I found this tiny sardine. Jill, Dad and I were all circled around it taking a picture. I took this one with the shoe but I felt that the size would be more easily understood in a picture if it was next to a hand. So, Jill crouched down and put her hand next to it just as Dad jumped and said, "Heads Up!" right as the tide came up from behind us. I was soaked all the way to my knees. My shoes and pants were now soaked, and sandy. After that, going barefoot was the only choice. Next time I'll wear my flip flops.




It was Rocky's first time seeing the ocean and she was flabbergasted. Lucky thing her grandma was there to share it.


For the big birthday celebration Brandon made a paella and we invited some friends over.
I finally got a picture of our friends Hema and Anu. They dressed up in their beautiful Indian dress clothes for my birthday. They told me all about the festivals that are celebrated in India and we all decided that there should be more holidays in this country. Anu told me that when she was little she had a teacher that was Christian and that they all were obsessed with her because she celebrated Christmas. She said that all the kids think that Christianity is really cool because of Santa.


We walked over to campus to meet Brandon for lunch. Mom thought that she needed to take a picture of us by the Romance Language building, Friendly Hall, where Brandon has his office. Because class had just gotten out there were college students everywhere. None of us wanted to look like dorks getting their pictures taken. Brandon saw one of his students walking by and without discussing it we all tried to act nonchalant.

Then she insisted that I needed to get my picture taken with this bike because it was my birthday. I said that because it was my birthday I shouldn't have to pose with the bike and look like a nerd. But, when it comes down to it, adult or not, moms can still tell their offspring what to do.



I had lots of help with Rocky. She thinks she's the Queen of Sheba with a hoard of servants who live to fulfill her every whim. She was fawned over while my parents were here, and Jill has kept her entertained since they left. Now Kathy is here (I'll post her pictures later) and I haven't had to change a diaper in three days. I'm not even sure that the baby even remembers who I am.



We did make time for everyone to gather around the laptop to watch "The Office."


On Tuesday Jill and I went to Portland to see a show at the Wonder Ballroom. The Mountain Goats and Kaki King put on an amazing performance. We were standing in the second row and I swear if I had reached up I could have strum John Darnielle's guitar. I was a little sad though because I don't know the words to his songs. I swear there were a couple of times when I was the only person in the audience not singing along and he would look down at me with a quizzical expression. All I could do was smile what I considered a very supportive smile. He would nod and I felt little bit guilty because I had probably the best spot in the whole venue, which maybe should have gone to a hard-core fan. But, I think Jill is probably the hard-corest of them all and I was with her, so I guess it evened out somewhere in the cosmos.


Jilly also taught me, Brandon and Rocky how to disc golf which is fun and also free. So, basically, anyone who is going to come for a visit should plan on trying it out.

4 comments:

Cara Rigby said...

Yay! Happy Birthday...glad that you had fun and that your fam could come and see ya. I love that picture of you by the bike, especially because your mom made you. I love your hair...super cute.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

Fun pictures. We never paid the $10 either for the sea lion caves, but saw them outside too! Glad you had fun with your family!

Stephanie said...

What a great time! And don't feel bad about your intentions of keeping your shoes on at the beach. Regardless of the weather, the water is always frrrrreeeezing!! Sorry about the sand, though. :S

Isaac said...

Glad to know you follow my blog, and since you commented and finally made me aware I can follow yours too! Good to catch up on everything that's happening. I'll let you know if I fall flat on my face with the girl I'm chasing now, it would be cool to "hang" with your friend.
How long have you been in Eugene? I have a good friend from back home who's in Eugene and my uncle just got home from being a mission president there. Hope all is well.

Love,
Isaac