Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to Eugene with a Few Stories

 The first thing we did when we got home was to eat the corn that Grandpa had grown in his garden.  Rocky couldn't get enough.
We also went for a nature hike and ate the five blackberries that were ripe. 


At this point our camera ran out of batteries.  I'm not sure why...it couldn't be the nonstop picture taking that I did while we were in Utah.  I haven't gotten around to changing the battery yet and since I didn't get any pictures of the Eugene Celebration parade or the 30 kids in the bouncy house at the birthday party Rocky was invited to last weekend, I figured that I should take this chance to catch up on a couple of stories.

All evening yesterday Rocky kept saying, "Knock, Knock, Who is knocking on my..." and she would change the ending.  It started at dinner and she said, "Who is knocking on my little cucumber?"  Later she said her leg and then she moved to consistently asking, "Who is knocking on my fridge?"
I finally asked her who she thought was knocking on her fridge and she said in a tone that implied that it was completely obvious, "You know, the Billy Goats."  I guess in nursery they told the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff and she figured that if the goats could knock on a fridge, why not on a cucumber?

We were walking last night and the girls were getting kind of antsy in the stroller so Brandon suggested that Rocky tell Daisy a story.  This is what she said.
Once upon a time there was a butterfly and it fell asleep and dreamed about bats.  The bat's name was...(pause)...Butterfly.  Brandon said that it sounded like something he would be studying in one of his lit classes.  Probably Cortazar or Borges.  Maybe she will have a future in writing the next meta-fictional classic.

Brandon and I have a lot of interesting incidents involving sleep walking and/or sleep talking.  The other day when we woke up, for no clear reason, the Dustbuster was in the bed between us.  I didn't have my glasses on and I though it was one of the kids because it was all tucked in and looking so cozy.  Neither of us have any idea who put it there or why, but since I'm writing this account, I'm going to go ahead and blame it on Brandon.

As you can tell by the fact that I think these stories are interesting that our lives pretty much consist of nonstop adventure.  Although, after the excitement we had in Utah, it is nice to get back to the calm.  We've be reconnecting with our friends around here and enjoying the parks and the cool evenings and remembering why we love Eugene.   


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ha! That is hilarious about the dust buster! :)