Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Week 2

 Rocky and  Daisy were out playing  and they started yelling that there was something weird in the sky.  Right then  the smoke went in front of the sun and the sky went  creepily dark.  Sure enough there was something crazy going on.   Civic Stadium which is just across the track from our apartment was on fire.  It only took a few minutes before it  was completely engulfed in flames.  You could feel the heat coming off of it and it was  terrifying, especially before the firefighters got it under control.
 We found out later that it was started by four kids that were over there playing around.  It was one of those nightmare stories that parents always warn you about and that nobody really believes  will happen to them.
It is especially sad to see  this stadium burn because the whole community had just put a ton of work into raising 4.5 million dollars to save it.   Now all that is left  is the rubble.  
 
The fire only added to the ridiculous amount of heat we have been having here.  Eugene is usually so pleasant during the summer.  If you can make it through all the rain during  the winter, and get through the early grass seasonal allergies by the time you get to mid June  things are usually perfect.  The mornings are cool and sometimes a little rainy and the afternoons are just the right temperature to enjoy some time at the pool.  Not so this year.  We have been roasting.  Little Ike made  his appearance just in time to experience record heat.  I just thank my lucky stars that  I'm  not still pregnant.
 Rosy was supposed to be in bed but I found her  singing to her baby brother.  I thought I should take a picture because it was the first time that they were together that she wasn't trying to shove her hands in his face.  Don't look at how dirty her feet are.

I took another half  million  pictures  to try to document how this boy looks and how much he already has us all wrapped around his tiny little fingers.



 He had quite an audience for his first bath.
 The girls are really loving the baby but they have been a little bit unpredictable in their behavior.  Everything seemed  to change at once because they got out of school,  the weather went crazy, and they have a new baby at home all at the same  time.  I haven't gotten to spend as much one on one time with any of them and they are all tired  and cranky.   Mostly this manifests itself through fights.  One reoccurring fight is that Rosy steals Daisy's flip flops and insists that they are hers.  Of all the ridiculous things I have dealt with as a mother  this one might be the irritating.  I actually took Rosy to the store and let her pick out her own pair that actually fit her feet but it did nothing to stop her from wearing  the big ones.  She will not back down from it  and  no matter how many times they are taken away she will still insist that they are hers.
Daisy has had her fair share of freak outs too.  She usually saves her explosions up and has about one a year but there  have been a few flare-ups.  The other day she and Rocky were fighting over a Pirate bandanna with drastic results.  Rocky put it in her mouth and Daisy pulled it out and along with the scarf came a tooth.  Incidentally both Brandon and I each lost a tooth in a similar situation with a sibling so we were not as surprised  as we could have been.
Once she got over the shock Rocky was pretty thrilled that she had  a tooth to put under her pillow and in the end I think it sort of broke the tension that had been building up between  the sisters and they seem to be getting along a little better.
Along with her tooth she left a note.
 Translation:  Dear Tooth Fairy, My little sister ripped my tooth out accidentally but it was loose.
(I thought she was being pretty diplomatic calling it an accident.)
 P.S. I look like a vampire - no  fangs
 I am sorry for the disgustingness of the tooth photo but you can see that the roots were definitely still there and that without the help it may have stayed put for another month or so.

But we somehow soldier on in this crazy home of ours and everybody seems to get along in the end.
 Our little Isaac is still so small.  In fact, he is almost a pound smaller than when he was born.  He eats  and he sleeps and he shrinks.  He still seems healthy, strong and alert...and tiny.  I have been working really hard to get some weight on him and  sometimes it gets a little tiring so I put him in this onesie to give myself some encouragement.  I still don't think he has gained much but I feel cheered on.  It is a bummer that it is so unhealthy because he is so cute with his chicken legs and his long skinny torso.  I can't blame him for just wanting to sleep in this heat.  On the plus side he is a mellow little guy and when he cries he has this adorable little squeak.  It is impossible not to melt when he squeaks. 
 I can't remember  why I took this picture of Rosy but I thought that I had better use it because she is actually smiling. 
 Because I have to spend so much time trying to nourish our youngest Brandon has really been working hard to keep the others entertained.  He takes them to the park every day and planned a bunch of outdoor activities that they have taught to the other kids in the neighborhood.  He got their bikes all decorated for a parade at the park for the 4th.  He is just the cutest dad ever.
 He ran the Butte to Butte 10K and even though I was jealous that I didn't get to participate it was fun to be able to cheer him on.   The girls were  so excited and they told everyone around that they were watching for their Daddy.  I could see how proud they were.


 Rocky wanted to take some pictures.  The other 65 pictures that she took weren't that great but I thought this one was pretty cool.
 Daisy is still a little bit erratic on her bike so the parade took a lot of focus. 


 When they were taking the group shot I was standing behind all the kids.  A man kept saying, "Everybody needs to smile we don't want frowns."  I should have known who he was talking about.
 After the parade we had a picnic and then spent the afternoon sitting in front of the fan in our apartment with both doors open trying to get a cross breeze.  That night Brandon took the girls to a potluck and I stayed home with the bean.  Later we tried to walk around and see if there was a spot close by to witness fireworks and saw a couple but not many.  The highlight of the day for the girls was the Pop-Its.

And a few more baby shots.


 He really is that cute.  I know you don't believe it, but he is.

And one last picture to finish things off.  I found this hanging on Rocky's wall.  It speaks for itself.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

He is adorable! Thanks for all of the pictures! Daisy's hair is so twenties. I like it. She has the perfect wave.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

So fun to read up on how you guys are doing, you sound like you are out and about better than I am! I love the pictures, you have the cutest family and are such a good mom. And, maybe it's a 4th baby thing, our little guy is alert and eats, but just stays teeny tiny too!