Friday, September 22, 2017

Art is Cool

 My mom bought tickets for us all to see a production of In the Heights.  It was this tiny theater company so we had low expectations but it was showing at the amphitheater so we figured it wouldn't matter because it would still be fun.  It exploded my expectations.  I didn't stop smiling or crying the whole time.  I can't remember a show that I have seen that was so well done.  I felt my spirits raise and I can't express how happy it made me feel.  That show reminded me just how important the arts are.  When your life feels like a big mess and you don't have any power to control your future it sure is nice to be able to go to a show and watch talented people sing and dance.  My friend Nicole and I always joke that we know God loves us because he gave the world Lin Manuel Miranda.  Of course we know God loves us for so many reasons, but I truly think that art in all its forms is a true blessing. We can learn so much from pictures, movies, plays, dance, songs, all those things, and sometimes even if we aren't specifically learning something, those things just bring pure joy.  They are a break from monotony and a splash of color when the world looks a little bit black and white.

What also brings color?  Kids.
 We hit up the Weber County Fair and saw all the animals and a bunch of trapeze artists because the exotic bird show had to cancel at the last minute.  I didn't complain.  Those trapeze folks were super entertaining.  We ate some Zeppe's.  Why is it that I can remember so many food details?


 Afterwards we were so thirsty so Mom, Jill, and Rocky went to go pick up some Chinese takeout.  It took forever and Rocky told me that the glass of ice water she got when they arrived at home was the best thing she had ever tasted.
 Movie Nights
Into the Woods

Finding Dory
 By this time Brandon had gone to Washington DC for his State Department interview and then onto Eugene to work temporarily at the study abroad office.  I was so, so grateful for all the help my parents and Jill gave me in taking care of the kids for more than 3 weeks.  We missed Brandon so much but it was a great time for the kids to bond with their grandparents.

Daisy got an honorable mention in the Eccles Art Center Pioneer Day art contest and won $100.

 And we did our yearly Lime Rickey run.  Just looking at this picture makes me taste the sweetness.

Daisy's poster

Peeping Ike

Watching videos of accidents on YouTube for hours


Rocky's poster

No comments: