Friday, September 22, 2017

Goodbye to Grandpa Howard

 We were lucky to get to Utah in time to see my Grandpa Howard just a few days before he died.  He was an awesome man and even though it seemed like his health had made death a mercy, it was still just so sad.




My favorite memories of Grandpa Howard:

  • He used to make homemade ice cream when we were little and whenever I make it now I still just want it to be vanilla because the flavor reminds me of being at their house. 
  • He was best friends with anyone he met.  He could chat with a complete strangers and after a minute or two they were at ease.
  • Toward the end of his life he started to share some of his memories as a soldier in WWII which brought me to a new understanding of the horrors of war.  It was pretty special that he had reached a point that he wanted his stories recorded and trusted us with them. 
  • He and Grandma would pop in during the summer wearing short shorts showing off their tanned legs.  They were always out having adventures on their boat or traveling the world.
  • He often had a toothpick in his mouth and was always saying, "What is interesting about that is..." 
  • I remember him as the only one that called Grandma "Jo."
  • He had all kinds of knick knacks and interesting things all over his house.
  • He lent us his own VHS of Old Yeller because he wanted his grandkids to see it.
  • One day when I was in high school I had a bunch of friends over.  We were hanging out in the room above the garage and he and Grandma came right in and sat down to join the party.  My friends all loved them.
  • He was delighted with his cats and so proud of himself for getting a kitten for Grandma.  He also was thrilled with a little book about cats that Jill found for him on ebay.  I'll never forget the smile he had when he saw it.  
  • One time Brandon, Jill and I made an impromptu trip out to Flaming Gorge with some friends and while we were there we came upon their cabin right while they were in the middle of their own garage sale.  We watched Grandpa bargain with a man and clearly win. 
  • I'll always think of him when I pass a yard sale or, especially a swap meet.
  • I remember fishing with them and going out on the Gorge in their house boat.
  • He asked me to look into our family history and then laughed right out loud when we had a chart tracing his family back to all kinds of royalty.  I remember him saying, "Whatever you have to do to make sure that Jo and I are together forever, you do it because I don't want to go to heaven if we aren't together."
  • For awhile he and Grandma had cards with their name and info that they could give to friends.  They said, "Been there, done that, can't remember it."
  • I loved that he loved Brandon.  From the moment that they met I could tell that Grandpa thought I had found myself a good man.

I am grateful for all I learned from having such a cool Grandpa. I have no doubt that wherever he is now he has already made some friends.

No comments: