Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Nothing Really Special, Except Everything

 I think that it was a good thing that we ended up spending some time at home yesterday.  Both Rocky and Daisy have been champs about this whole adjustment, but I do think they have been freaking out just a little bit.  While hanging out in our casita they were being silly and carefree like their normal selves.  We did finally head out but didn't really venture too far.  Instead we spent a couple of hours exploring around our complex.  There are all kinds of pathways that lead to little mini plazas with empty pools and dried up fountains.  I've been impressed at how much fun they have had the last few days without many toys or other kids to play with.  While we were out there they caught a big beetle and spent a bunch of time creating a habitat that I'm sure the bug really appreciated.  They played like they were ninjas and they chased all over the place.
Later we met Brandon and the rest of the students at a restaurant for their welcome lunch which was a feast.  I had to try everything and, even though I still don't know what any of it is called, I am in love with Mexican cooking.  Rocky kept up her streak of refusing to try basically anything.  I never pegged her for the picky type, but we'll just give her a little time to get used to eating out and see how she fares in a week or so.  It might also have something to do with the pitchers of agua de jamaica (it is a type of juice) that she drank about half of herself.  She likes it because she remembers it from Victor and Rosi's house.  She also had no problem with the churros for dessert, and the two of us made sure to take advantage of eating as many as would fit in our stomachs.  Unfortunately for my taste-buds, and fortunately for my overall health, the baby takes her share of the room in there.

Speaking of the little kidlet that is currently stretching my waistline, there is something I have noticed.  Since I've been here not a single person has made a comment or asked a question about pregnancy.  I'm not sure if it is because it is a taboo subject or if people just assume I'm just fat.  Either way, it is nice to have other things to talk about.  I think the reason I'm so thrown off by it is that all the latina ladies in the branch were asking me when my baby was due ever since the day after Daisy was born.  I thought that it was like when they comment on how fat you're getting and it isn't rude.  So far the people here seem to be a little more discrete. 
In the restaurant there was a little room with a small plastic playground for the kids.  There were also three little boys playing and Brandon went in to check on how things were going.  The little boy said to him, "That girl just keeps talking in English and we don't understand.  She just says, 'blah, blah, blah, blah,' and won't stop."  Rocky, who understands everything thought it was hilarious.  She kept saying that the boy who said, 'blah, blah, blah," is so funny.  It was probably just as well for those boys that they didn't understand because she was mostly bossing them around.  
These are the only other photos that I have taken because Brandon had the camera so he could make IDs for the students.  There are beautiful fountains everywhere and the girls are fascinated with them.  I heard that touching the water in them is a big way for kids to get sick so it is yet another battle to keep them from sticking their hands in.  It is a hard battle for me to keep my own hands out.  I have never realized how much of a temptation it is to put your hand under a stream of water like these.

When I asked Rocky what her favorite thing is about Mexico she said it was the cartoons.  She also said that she really likes her water bottle.  I didn't ask Brandon but I think his answer would be talking to the taxi drivers. 
When I asked Daisy she just said, "Mexico."  I was impressed because that is a pretty big word for her but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I agreed with her answer.  There are a lot of small things that make it cool to be here, but really, it is when you put them all together that makes it so amazing.  So, I guess my favorite thing about Mexico is Mexico too.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

The blah, blah, blah story cracked me up. Your girls are so cool. I'm glad your outing yesterday went well and that your restless night of fears didn't come true.

Katrina said...

I'm loving all your posts. Sorry I don't get to comment much. I usually read while feeding Holland and that makes it hard to comment. It makes me miss you though and I hope you keep posting daily because I'm loving hearing about your adventures (and non adventures). I'm glad things are going well. Oh, and in case you are worried, your car is doing fantastic.

Callie. said...

I, too, am loving all your updates, and I can't help but think how cool and cultured these experiences are going to make your girls. What great experiences for them, and you. I admire you and this adventure you guys are on is just another reason why.

Rusten and Karen said...

You guys are awesome! Blah blah blah! I miss you and your cute girls.